Social workers work in a variety of settings within a framework of relevant legislation and procedures, supporting individuals, families and groups within the community. Government legislation focusing on the integration of health and social work services means that social workers often work in multidisciplinary teams.
Social workers take a lead role in;
- responding to children and families in need of support and help
- undertaking enquiries following allegations or suspicion of abuse
- undertaking initial assessments and core assessments as part of the Assessment Framework
- convening strategy meetings and initial and subsequent child-protection conferences
- court action to safeguard and protect children
- co-ordinating the implementation of the child protection plan for children on the child protection register
- looking after and planning for children in the care of the council
- ensuring that looked after children are safeguarded in a foster family, children's home or other placement
If you are a Surrey social worker - please see the links to relevant process documents opposite.