About and Contact
What is a Virtual School?
The Surrey Virtual School (SVS) is not a teaching institution but a way of bringing together the information about children and young people who are cared for by Surrey local authority as if they were in a single school. That way, their progress can be closely tracked and supported, and interventions can be targeted in a more strategic way. The school has a Headteacher - a statutory post within every local authority - who, as a senior manager within the authority can support and challenge local authority departments, schools and other agencies to help them do better. Children placed in Surrey schools by other local authorities remain the responsibility of the placing authority's Virtual Headteacher - although the SVS will support colleagues with local information and signposting.
What we do
- Champion the educational needs of children and young people who are looked after by Surrey
- Promote aspiration for educational achievement by demanding it is a priority within the lives of looked after children to improve outcomes and life chances.
- Ensure our children and young people have access to the best possible education and every chance to progress and realise their individual potential.
- Assess and review personalised support plans to raise attainment for those in care to Surrey - providing advice, guidance and support for intervention where this is needed.
We can offer
- Training for designated teachers in schools, school governors, social workers, foster carers and a range of partner agencies.
- Advice, information and guidance on all aspects of education for looked after children and young people
- Support with studies, future pathways and work experience opportunities.
Surrey Virtual School for Children in Care
Kingston Upon Thames
Tel: 0208 541 7761
Fax: 0208 541 9502